Saturday, July 20, 2013

Week 6 July 13

This week we got some interesting things, and a special treat, garlic scape jam.  Haven't used it yet.  I'm assuming I'll do a cream cheese/cracker thing with it.  We also got baby turnip thinnings, braising greens, salad mix, baby squash, potatoes, beets, garlic and green beans.
 


So I'm starting to have an excess of garlic, which is great.  I had some store bought garlic, but it's nothing like the juicy sharp garden garlic, so I roasted some to use it up.  I've been throwing that in everything. 


The baby squash was tossed with a bunch of other vegetables, feta, and a creamy lemon salad dressing.  (equal parts mayo, sour cream and yogurt, a dash each of dijon, pureed garlic, minced onion, zest and juice of a lemon, salt and lots of pepper)


Some of the potatoes and basil made it into a fritatta made and photographed by Glyn.  I had to go to work and he was making breakfast for our visitors, so I told him as I ran out the door, "Make sure if you use and of the CSA stuff you take a picture of it before it gets eaten!"  


This isn't from our CSA, but it's a local classic, blackberry crumble.  I'm almost out of blackberries, so it's good that the blackberry season is coming soon!  This is made with blackberries and apple slices tossed with a tbsp of cornstarch (|I was out of cornstarch so I used a tbsp of Birds custard powder which is mostly cornstarch) and sugar to taste.  The topping is oats, sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter.  Dessert for breakfast!


The rest of the potatoes and beets were roasted and tossed in a salad with the greens.  The dressing was a spicy one:  1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup sugar, 5 or 6 pureed roasted garlicbulbs, zest and juice of a lime, several dashes of tobasco, several dashes of sesame oil, pepper.  I also threw a half a cantelope in there, and that was a good idea!  The sweet/spicy/salty combo really worked.    



The simplest recipe for kale:  Wash, chop into ribbons, sautee for 45 seconds with a bit of garlic, butter and a tsp. of lemon zest.  The kids love it.


This doesn't include any CSA stuff, except the basil, but I was showing off for company and made this recipe, which I think of as a Tahsis local dish.  Pasta tossed with equal parts mayo and lemon juice, a bunch of green onions, pepper, arugula (I used our fresh basil instead) and smoked salmon.  This recipe originally came from Silvie, the chef at  Tahsis Time Grill when she fed the volunteers at the community garden one afternoon, and I have made it several times since.

  
  










No comments:

Post a Comment